I was nominated by Dee from Enjoy Mamahood for the Liebster Award! Thank you so much for nominating me, Dee! I absolutely love following along with her journey and her two little ones are absolutely adorable! Check her blog out! I just love the way that social media like Instagram has allowed me to connect with so many amazing women!
In the blogging world, the Liebster award is an online recognition given to new bloggers by fellow bloggers for enjoying and valuing their work. It is meant to highlight and credit new up and coming blogs within our writing community.
The rules are as follows:
- Thank the blog that nominated you and link back to them.
- Answer 11 questions from the blogger that nominated you.
- Tell readers 11 random facts about yourself.
- Nominate up to 11 bloggers to receive the award next.
- Give your new nominees questions to answer about themselves when they post their nomination.
My 11 random facts:
- My favorite time of day is dusk. Right when the sun has gone down after a sunny day and it’s still light out. It’s my favorite time to go sit outside and watch O play and enjoy the warm evening. Add a glass of wine or a cold beer and it’s even better.
- I love coffee. I look forward to my morning cup of coffee with cream (lots of cream) every day. It’s probably the only thing that ever gets me out of bed in the morning. I gave up coffee completely when I was pregnant with O. It was so difficult! I’m pretty sure I had 4 cups the day he was born to celebrate. I was more excited about drinking coffee again that I was about having a beer.
- I learned to speak German in high school and Norwegian as an adult. I am sad to say that I have lost about 80% of what I have learned of both those languages. Both my husband and I have Scandinavian roots and we hope O will learn to appreciate it as much as we do. We do have lots of Norwegian items for O to play with though including Norwegian letter blocks and picture books with English and Norwegian words.
- My husband and I met in grade school. We didn’t start dating until college, but I love that we have known each other for so long. We also dated for 10 years before we got engaged. I am a very patient woman.
- My favorite candy is Starburst babies. Yup, they are small gummy Starburst flavored candies shaped like little babies. It is the strangest idea for a candy, I know! I fell in love with them while studying abroad in Australia. They are not available in the US, but an amazing friend of mine just came back from Australia and brought me two bags! I am waiting for a special occasion to open a bag as I know once I open it, that bag with go fast! I’m losing my willpower to wait much longer.
- My first car was a 1982 VW Jetta. I was so in love with it! Funny story….it made a strange sound that I correlated with the car overheating (because I obviously had amazing mechanic skills when I was 16). I was told once that if your car overheats, you should turn the heat on to help cool the engine down. I’m not actually sure if that is even true. I can still picture myself cruising around in the heat of summer with a car full of friends and the heat turned up to full blast for fear that my car was going to explode. Meanwhile we are all dripping in sweat. Turns out it was a door chime that needed a new fuse and would go off at random times. Geez!
- My favorite time of the year is Christmas. The start of summer is a close second, but there is just something magical about the Christmas holiday. I love decorating the house and tree and starting special family traditions with O. I’m pretty sure he was more excited about the packaging materials this past year (typical baby), but I love that he will remember the fun things we do and traditions we start for years to come.
- I am the oldest of four kids. I grew up babysitting my siblings and playing house from an early age. I always felt that being a mom was something I had been preparing for since I was 10. It has also made me want a big family myself. I’ve been telling my husband it’s time to think about baby 2.0….
- I had O’s nursery mostly complete when I was only 4 months pregnant….I’m a bit of a planner. Ok, I’m an extreme planner. Planning and organization, it’s the only way I function.
- My family lives in an 800 square foot house. It is by no means a “tiny house,” but we do love the small space we share. We have to stay very clean and organized though, which is fine by me! Like I said above, I love to organize.
- I know this will sound super corny, but I’m nothing if not a little bit corny. I love being a mom. I do. I love knowing that this is my little family and that someone calls me Mama. It’s what I have always wanted in life. I feel blessed. Stressed (what mom isn’t?), but blessed!
These are my answers to Dee’s questions:
- What inspired you to start blogging? I have always loved a project. I bought a fixer upper house and loved renovating it. I learned to knit and then decided the next logical step was to start an afghan. I love a project and motherhood has been the most amazing, rewarding, and difficult one I have tackled yet. I wanted a place where I could share my trials and triumphs as I find solace and community in the blogs I read. I hope that I have something to share that might help someone else on their journey. This is my project, My Mama Project.
- What is one piece of advice that has stuck with you? Trust your gut. As a new mom, you are inundated with other people’s ideas of what is the right way to do something. As a mom, you just need to trust your gut and do what you think is best for your baby. Co-sleep or crib, purees or baby led weaning, to swaddle or not, just do what you think is best and know that you are doing the best you can for your baby.
- What is your most memorable trip? Two trips come to mind. One is our honeymoon in Jamaica. It was a week of pure bliss. We were on such a high after our amazing wedding day and so excited to start our married life together. We stayed at an all-inclusive resort and for one week, had no worries except what pool we wanted to lounge out at each day. The second is a trip we took with O to celebrate our second anniversary. We went to a snowy lodge about two hours from our house. It was only for one night as we couldn’t afford to stay any longer, but we had so much fun as a family and introducing O to his first experience with snow. It was a perfect trip and a great way to celebrate our love which had grown into this little family unit.
- What does your perfect day consist of? My perfect day would start well-rested and with a full night’s sleep behind me (wishful thinking for this mama). My husband would have the day off and we would walk to a local coffee shop equipped with a kid’s play area for coffee and breakfast pastries. We would then head out after O’s nap to go antiquing. I love walking through shops in small towns looking for treasures. We would end the day with a backyard picnic. I’m smiling just thinking about how much fun that day would be.
- If you could trade places with someone for one day, who would it be and why? Good question! I had to really think about this one for awhile. I would like to trade places with Amber Fillerup Clark from Barefoot Blonde. She is a blogger and mama to 2 small kids in NYC. She takes the most amazing vacations around the world and I would love to be in her shoes and see the world if only for one day with my hubby and son. Vacations are not something we can afford very often and when we do go on a trip it is not usually very extravagant. I would love the chance to someday take my family on amazing trips like she does.
- What is one of your favorite childhood memories? My favorite childhood memory is just running around our backyard in the summer. My siblings and I would spend all day outside from dawn till dusk. We would run barefoot and create imaginative games to play (like our gymnastics inspired routines using swing set parts). I often try to over plan my toddler’s day and I think that I forget how important it is to just be at home making your own fun.
- If you could relive one day, exactly as it was, what day would you want to relive? Though the day O was born comes to mind, the first 8 hours of that day prior to his birth are not ones that I want to relive anytime soon. I would have to say my wedding day. I’m sure that most married people can relate to the fact that your wedding day goes by so quickly that it is hard to have the time to really take it all in. I would love to relive it not only for the reason that it was my wedding day (duh!), but I want to go back and take that day all in again. And people say baby stages go fast….
- If you could have an all-paid-for shopping spree at one store, what store would it be? This is a tough one. I would have to say Nordstrom. They have it all from clothes to shoes to jewelry, so I would be ready to go head-to-toe. I always walk through the store knowing that it is mostly out of my price range, but knowing that the quality is such that the clothes won’t wear out as quickly as my discount store stuff does. Don’t get me wrong, I love Target and Forever 21, but the clothes don’t always hold up as well as you would like them to.
- What is one mom-related item you can’t live without? At every stage, newborn, infant, toddler, the answer will have changed. Right now, I can’t live without our video monitor. It sounds like a silly item to mention here, but since O takes his naps in our bed I have to be on guard during all of nap time to make sure he does’t wake up and try to get out of bed on his own. He is usually ok at doing this but always wakes up groggy and confused. I feel a bit attached to our monitor because I never get to let my guard down even during nap time. Ah, motherhood.
- What is one funny mom-related moment that has happened to you? As I think back on the past 16 months, there are a lot of not so funny things that have happened and those tend to rise to the front of my brain. I wish it weren’t like that though, so I am happy to reflect on this question. One that comes to mind is last summer. I had purchased a new bikini top online that was nursing friendly. I wore it proudly to a popular outdoor pool. I’m sure you can all see where this one is going. After being so careful to cover myself up in all ways possible while nursing and to make sure that I was all tied up again, I stood up and I hadn’t taken 2 steps when the front plastic clasp broke out of nowhere. Yup! Full exposure! Embarrassing yes, but I found it more funny. I had spent so much time making sure that I was all good to go just to have the craziest possible thing happen. Oh well!
- What is your favorite day of the week and why? I love Thursdays. Every since I went back to work part time, Thursday has been my first full day off to spend with O. I always plan a fun outing on Thursdays and it has become a tradition for us to head out after his morning nap for a day of Mama and Me fun. Our favorite places to go are the Children’s Museum, an indoor sandbox playspace, or the pool.
- What is one piece of advice you would pass on to a first time mama? Be easy on yourself. Being a mama is hands down the most amazing thing, but it is also the more difficult. You will have days where you feel on top of the world and days where you are down in the dumps. Be easy on yourself and know that everyone has been there. If possible, try to build a mom community whether it be online or in your daily life. Having the support of others who know exactly what it’s like is priceless.
My questions for you three are:
- What inspired you to start a blog?
- What would your perfect day consist of?
- Who is someone you look up to?
- What mom or baby/kid item is a staple in your purse or diaper bag?
- What is your favorite holiday?
- A grade school favorite…what is your favorite color?
- If you could have an all expenses paid shopping spree at any store, which one would you choose?
- What is your favorite kid friendly activity?
- What would you do if you needed a pick me up or something to cheer yourself up after a hard day?
- What is the first thing you do in the morning and the last thing you do at night?
- What words of advice do you have for new moms or moms to be?