Summer, summer, summer time…time to sit back and unwind. (Is that song playing in your head yet?) I don’t know about you, but a beach trip with kids is a lot different from the beach trips I used to take. Nowadays, my beach bag is full to the brim with things for my little one. If you are curious about just what I pack, check out this post! However, this peek in my beach bag isn’t about sand pails, swim diapers, or 50+ SPF safe and natural sunscreen….it’s about me!
I have learned to pare down what I need when we go anywhere these days as my son’s stuff takes up most of the room in any bag. With that in mind, I have 5 essential beach bag items that I won’t leave home without (6 if you count sunglasses, but to be honest, I NEVER leave home with a pair of sunglasses, so that was a given). Most of these items are tried and true things I have owned for years, but in those cases I have a few (affiliate) links for you to check out if you want to see some similar items when the exact one is no longer available. My husband always makes fun of me because when someone asks where I got something I usually start a 5 minute story about a purchase from 5-10 years ago! What can I say, I take care of my stuff! Anyway….check out my Mama’s Beach Bag Essentials below. When you don’t want to make 10 trips from the car to the beach, these 5 items will be all you need!
- Floppy hat: I am a bit hat obsessed, so my struggle comes from deciding what hat to pack. This one is my favorite for full coverage when at the beach. No matter where the sun is coming from, I’m covered. I am loving this one and this one as well.
- Beach mat: Let’s be honest, towels and beach blankets always look nice when you first lay them out, but all it takes is one toddler to run on to it and not only is it covered in sand, but it’s all bunched up and isn’t serving its purpose anymore. This beach mat is the best thing ever! It folds up and has handles and is made of a woven straw so that not only does sand brush off really easily, but it keeps its shape. Toddler tested, mama approved! Similar ones can be found here and here.
- Water resistant bag: I love the beach and relaxing in the sand, but don’t really like bringing it home with me. This bag is perfect because its material doesn’t let sand in (unless a toddler you know dumps a shovel full in, but hey, no bag can withstand that attack!). This one also has a variety of pockets inside where you can zip items safely away. Perfect for protecting your phone and valuables from the toddler sand shoveling! Similar ones here and here.
- Thin towel: On a hot summer day, a thick towel is the last thing I want to dry myself off with and it is usually covered in sand anyway. Why does sand stick to towels so well? After taking a trip to Hawaii to visit my sister who lived there, I realized that most locals don’t use towels at all! They use thin sarong material throws as towels. This sarong makes for a perfect beach towel and the best part is sand doesn’t stick to it. Plus when it gets wet, it dries really quickly. Like a lot of people recently, I have also been jumping on the Turkish towel bandwagon. Check out my current towel crushes here and here. My husband says I don’t need another one….I tend to disagree.
- Bathing Suit Coverup: I had to have this one from Old Navy…and it’s currently on clearance. Yup! Get it while you can. Most sizes are sold out, but here is similar one. I love the romper trend, but the odds of me being able to pull one off are slim to none as I am way too tall for most rompers. This one has adjustable straps so it fits even me and because it is white linen, it is pretty see through, but is super soft and looks perfect at the beach.
Well there you have it, mama’s must have beach bag essentials! If you are interested in checking out some more awesome mom bloggers and taking a peek inside their bags, check out their posts below! Until then, I will be packing my bag and hopefully donning this cute suit and crop top (probably the only time you will catch me in a crop top – the beach). If you are looking for info, the suit top is from Asos (they have a great selection of fuller bust ones that this nursing mom appreciates), the bottoms are Target (exact ones here) and the crop top is H & M. This one is on clearance, too!
Have a great summer and hopefully you will have a chance to enjoy the beach soon!
This post is part of the July Blog Hop with some awesome mamas from my Mom Blog Tribe on Facebook. Check out their post titles below and feel free to “hop” around! Also, if you’re a mom blogger, you are invited to join our hop next month. Just join the tribe and watch for details!
- Diaper Bag Contents: Differences Between Infant and Toddler Needs // Fab Working Mom Life
- Diaper Bag Contents of a New Mom // Mothersrule
- Pool Time: What’s in Our Bag? // Diary of a New Mommy
- What’s in My Bag? The Kids’ Day Pack // Mama’s Sweet Home Team
- What’s in My Bag: A First Time Mom’s Weekend Bag // So(lace) in a Small Town
- What’s in the Bag? Southbank Sunday // Amazing Beautiful Individual
- What’s in Your Diaper Bag? // Sophia Says Hello
- What’s in Your Bag? Packing for a Road Trip with Toddlers // The Crafty Christian