Those sunglasses right? His, not mine! (And how about O’s blue steel impression?)
My little one is quite literally obsessed with being outside. From what I hear when I chat with other moms, I am not alone in this. If he could, O would spend every waking hour playing outside. Not that I don’t love digging in the dirt and gravel and playing with our toddler sized basketball hoop, because I do! It is the cold rainy weather that I hate spending time in and in the Pacific Northwest, that can be the norm at times. So we are both super excited that summer is practically here. O is happy that I will entertain his love of the outdoors more and I am happy to work on my tan while playing with my babe as well.
Summer weather always makes me want to break out the backyard pool and lounge around in the backyard. (Shout out to my hard working hubby who keeps our grass mowed on a regular basis!) And we have spent enough time outside that I have compiled quite a list of summer must haves! I had to share them with you in case you are in the same boat I am in…and that would be one that is outside in the sun all day long. Below are our (mine and O’s) five summer must have items. Toddler tested, mama approved! Or mama tested, toddler approved…either way, these items are awesome. Trust us! *Just an FYI: this post contains affiliate links.
- Sun Protection Hat: If you have a child who is constantly ripping hats off his or her head, then this one is for you. O is a bit hit or miss when it comes to headwear, but I am constantly trying to keep a hat on him when we are out in the sun. This one has two adjustable straps that help keep the hat on even when your toddler doesn’t want to wear it! One adjustment is in the back and allows for this hat to be worn when your child is a baby and then into toddlerhood. And what mama doesn’t want to buy something that has longevity to it? I hate when I buy something and a month later he has outgrown it. Not a problem with this sun hat. It also has an adjustable chin strap and the print is just too cute. And it has SPF 50 sun protection fabric, so you are good to go!
- Sunglasses: Could these be any cuter? They are from Pottery Barn Kids and come in four cute styles. The behind the neck strap is the best feature as they keep the glasses on O’s head and prevent him from ripping them off. Now to be perfectly honest, he doesn’t always love wearing sunglasses and finds a way to rip them off even with the neck strap, but they are so cute, I am willing to put in the effort to keep putting them back on him.
- Think Baby Sunscreen: I did a lot of research before choosing sunscreen for O. There was a lot of information out there, but many websites listed this as one of the top sunscreens for many reasons. It is free of biologically harmful chemicals and with an SPF of 50+ and 80 minutes water resistant, this is top notch sun care. It can be used on the face and body and surprisingly blends in quite easily despite being a thick cream. Love this stuff and a little goes a long way, so it last forever despite being a small tube.
- Flip Flops: Can anyone resist a toddler in flip flops? I know I can’t. Flip flops can be difficult for new walkers to master, but for only $2-4, these Old Navy flip flops (which come in a variety of colors and prints) are worth the risk. The back strap helps keep the flip flops on and I recommend buying the exact size you need, not one that is large at all as they won’t stay on well. We may or may not have three pairs….I just can’t help myself.
- iPlay Swim Diaper: This swim diaper is my absolute favorite. The iPlay diapers are true to size and have the cutest prints. This one is a pull-up style, but linked are a whole set of snap-up the side ones that many parents find much easier to use and to take on and off. I love the pull up style personally which is from Target, but all in all these diapers have proved that they really do hold in what they need to when in the pool…if you know what I mean. I can say that from experience. ‘Nuff said!
Here’s to welcoming summer safe and in style!