Recipe time! If you haven’t noticed by now, I don’t post a lot of recipes or food posts. Mostly that is because I CAN cook, but I would never call myself a great cook. I can follow a recipe, make a few mistakes during the process, and usually have it turn out alright, but that’s about the extent of my cooking abilities.
Fast forward to this past weekend. We were hosting a backyard bbq for my sister’s birthday as she wanted something low key that would allow our kiddos a chance to run around and play in the backyard. Everyone was bringing something and I decided to make an appetizer. Checking the fridge for what we had on hand and I quickly realized that it was pretty sparse in there! We did however have some peaches that needed to be eaten (I hate when fruit goes bad!), so I started brainstorming appetizers that involved peaches. I did some “pinteresting” for inspiration and after reading a few recipes involving peaches and toasted bread, I knew I had an idea in mind. (FYI: I was pretty proud of myself for coming up with an idea on my own, too! With pinterest inspiration of course!)
So with that, I hope you enjoy the peach ricotta crostini I made as much as my family did! The plate was devoured before the party really even got started with I assume is a pretty good sign. Proud mama over here! P.S. If you want to make an appetizer, but only have 5-10 minutes, then fear not, this takes little to no time at all which is my favorite kind of recipe!
Peach Ricotta Crostini
- pita or bagel chips – I love Stacy’s brand pita chips!
- 2-3 peaches depending on how many crostini you want to make
- ricotta cheese (I think goat cheese would be good too for a stronger flavor.)
- balsamic glaze – I am obsessed with this stuff! Seriously, how have I gone 34 years in life without knowing about this. I actually bought the last bottle at the grocery store. This glaze is delicious! See affiliate link if you want to buy it today. You won’t be disappointed.
- Optional: basil leaves for a garnish or sea salt if you like that sweet-meets-salty flavor, though I left it off this batch.
- Instead of taking the time to slice bread and toast in the oven (this tired mama did not have time for that), I loved using pita chips because they give a similar flavor and effect with a whole lot less work. Arrange them on a tray, as many as you wish to make.
- Scoop a generous amount of ricotta cheese on top of each crostini. (Ok, technically they are chips, but doesn’t crostini sound fancier?) You can add basil or sea salt here if you wish. Just a sprinkle will do.
- Slice peaches thinly and place one slice on top of each ricotta scoop. Press down a bit so they don’t slip off.
- Now for the fun part! Drizzle balsamic glaze on to each crostini. I didn’t want to over do it, but honestly I would have been happy with much more on each one, but I didn’t want to waste it either. Like I said, I bought the last bottle at the grocery store! It is so amazing and has such a mild and sweet flavor compared to balsamic vinegar. If you haven’t tried it, go out and buy a bottle today!
- All done! Arrange on the tray and serve. So simple and yet so delicious. The pita chips will eventually start to soften so don’t make these too far in advance. Enjoy!
I hope you enjoy these as much as we did! My favorite part….so easy to make and so pretty to present (and eat)!